My Family

My Family

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Friend, I will remember you. . .


"Friend, I will remember you, think of you, and pray for you, and when another day is through, I'll still be friends with you."

The words of an old 4-H camp song have been echoing through my mind for the past week as local 4-H members have travelled to 4-H Camp Clifton. I recently decided that I would love to rewind my life to my 4-H days so that I can go to camp.  Maybe this is because I am jealous that my ten year old daughter is enjoying herself at 4-H Camp this week.

But, this morning, I was jolted back to the cold, hard reality that I really am in my 30s. I cannot turn back the clock. And, time stands still for no one.

A few years ago, a very good friend passed away during the 4-H camp week for Union County.  Each year when Union County 4-H migrates to Yellow Springs, I stop and think of my friend.  She was a strong supporter of the 4-H and FFA programs. She had served on the Union County Fairboards for many years. She also was an advisor for the Union County Junior Fairboard for a long time. She embodied the persona of the Union County Fair.

I am not sure when I first met Kay Griffith, but I know that it was at the Union County Fair. My first year on the Union County Junior Fairboard was 1991. I was one of only two eighth graders on the junion fairboard that year. And, I remember how enthusiastic Kay was about the fair. I can remember Kay zipping all over the fairgrounds, both on foot and by golf cart, so that she could attend as many fair events as possible. No one loved the fair more than Kay.

After I graduated from high school, I spent less and less time at the fair. By 2009, I did not even make it to the fair for the parade and style revue. So, it was quite a surprise in November of 2009 when I saw Kay one Sunday afternoon at a restaurant in Columbus. I threw my arms around her, ecstatic to see my friend and mentor. But, it was obvious that she was not well. Time and illnesses had aged her so much. 

And, then I was angry at myself. Why didn't I try to keep in touch with Kay? Who else have I neglected in my life? It seems like I have a lot of old friends that I rarely see. Are these friends just a memory?

Again, the song echoes through my mind, "I will remember you, . . ." I will remember my friends. "Think of you, and pray for you, . . ." Each night I pray for everyone who has touched my life. "And, when another day is through, I will still by friends with you."

Kay, I still consider you a friend. I look forward to the day that I can see your face again, in heaven. You will forever be in my memories. "Friend, I WILL remember you."

No comments:

Post a Comment