My Family

My Family

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Make new friends, but keep the old

I think it was just the day before yesterday that my parents dropped me off at 4-H camp.  I was nervous.  my friend was supposed to be my bunk buddy, but she was in the hospital with appendicitis.  So, I was going to be in a cabin with people that I did not know.  I was shaking with fear.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I drove myself and my four siblings to 4-H camp.  My parents no longer felt the need to drive us down.  Two of us were counselors, two of us were counselors-in-training, and the youngest was a camper with four older siblings who could look out for her.

So, how is it today that I am leaving my soon-to-be ten year old daughter at camp?  What happened to all of the years?  Has it really been nineteen years since I have been to 4-H camp?

My daughter confidently strutted into her cabin.  She had not signed up to have a bunk buddy because she wanted to "make new friends."  After all, isn't that the point of camp?  WOW!  Such confidence!  It is hard to believe that my "baby" will celebrate her tenth birthday tomorrow, at camp, and without me.

Happy birthday, Little One!  You go and make new friends!  Your father and I love you bunches, even if you do make us feel old!

No comments:

Post a Comment