My Family

My Family

Friday, July 4, 2014

My family and the United States of America


Have I mentioned that I love my family? And, I love this great country that we live in. Since it is Independence Day, and I am supposed to be working on a HUGE genealogy project, I felt it was okay to take a break to write about my pride in both America and my family.

Visting the Alden House in Duxbury, Massachusetts
I am not sure when my first ancestors set foot on the North American continent. I have some ancestors who were Vikings, so they may have been the first. But, I do know that some of my ancestors and their relatives were at Jamestown in Virginia. I also know that John Alden and Priscilla Mullens came to Massachusetts in 1620. They came looking for a new life and freedoms that were not extended to them under the rule of the British Crown. John Alden was also one of the signers of the Mayflower Compact, so even he knew of the task ahead in setting up a government for and of the people.  I can honestly say that I am the thirteenth generation of American farmers in my family, and I am raising the fourteenth generation!

Early members of the Powers and Daines families also came to Massachusetts in the 1600s. Pennington family members came to Virginia in the 1600s and 1700s. One of my Pennington forefathers fought in the American Revolution. And, a descendant of John and Priscilla Alden was a signer of the Declaration of Independence as well as the second President of the United States, John Adams.

Members of the Pennington and Alden families fought in the War of 1812. Once again, my forefathers and relatives saw the importance of preserving the United States of America.

By the time of the Civil War, the Rolfs had migrated to the United States from Germany and Denmark. This was just in time to fight in the Civil War. Joachim Rolfs served in the Hessian Army while in Europe, and then was drafted into an Iowa militia during the Civil War. Several of my husband's relatives also fought in the Civil War as a part of the Ohio militia. These men fought valiantly to preserve the United States, even though they themselves could barely speak the language and were still learning American traditions. After the war, they came home and became naturalized citizens. They raised their children speaking both German and English. Many generations would continue to be raised bilingual.

By the 1900s, many more branches of my family's tree had arrived in the United States. And, many more generations would continue to serve in time of war and peace. Some came home to loving family and an adoring country, some came home to a country who scorned them, and some never came home at all. . . But, the family continued to fight for the United States and the freedoms this country provides. Even today, I have family and friends scattered world wide who serve to protect the United States of America.

A few summers ago my family went to Plymouth, Massachusetts for an Alden family reunion. On the way, we visited Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. We stood on hallowed ground an listened to the ghosts of the past. We stood behind canons abandoned in fields and imagined the battles of long ago. We bowed our head in silence as we stood at the graves of the fallen. We know that our forefathers sacrificed so that we could continue to live in the land of the free.

After we left Gettysburg, we headed on to Valley Forge. While there we listened to the stories of the struggle to survive the elements in a very young America. We saw the huts and primitive houses that the soldiers lived in. We were in awe that men would choose to fight a super power in order to give life to this country.

After Valley Forge, we travelled on to Philadelphia. We saw Independence Hall, and we saw the Liberty Bell. By now my two older daughters felt they were fast becoming experts in American History. They were very enthralled by the Liberty Bell.

Other stops on our trip included New York, Boston, Lexington, Concord, and Plymouth. In each place we found places where our family worked tirelessly to help create this great nation. And, we found ourselves very proud to be Americans. It chills my spine, even today, when I think about the first shots of the American Revolution. Who knew that simple defiance would lead to the formation of one of the strongest nations in the world?

And, so, today as we pack our picnic basket and head to our neighbors' house, we will remember the sacrifice of our forefathers to help create this great nation. Thank you to all who have given of themselves to make this country and continue to make this country great! GOD BLESS AMERICA! And, thank you to everyone who makes this country great!

No comments:

Post a Comment