My Family

My Family

Friday, September 19, 2014

Farm Science Review 2014

Whew!  What a whirl wind of a few weeks!  Last week I flew to Washington, DC for briefings on important agriculture issues.  And, this week, I spent time promoting and learning about Ohio agriculture at the Farm Science Review.

Farm Science Review, Farm and Science?  Review, review of what?  Yes, that is what I thought. . .  years ago.  I used to wonder how farming could be considered a science, I did indeed wonder before my first trip to the Farm Science Review in 1991 when I was a high school freshman.

But, today I know better.  I know that all aspects of agriculture involve science.  And, while I am not saying my parents were negligent in not taking me to the Farm Science Review all those years ago, I am ensuring that my daughters have opportunities to attend the Review each and every year.

So, what exactly is the Farm Science Review?  It is an interactive showcase of Ohio and American agriculture held over three days each September at the Ohio State University's Molly Caren Center near London, Ohio.  The show has its roots in a farm demonstration show that was once held on Ohio State's farm land at the Don Scott Airport in Columbus.  In 1982, the Ohio State University purchased the Upper Gwynne South Farm from Molly Brown Caren, creating a new location for OSU to host the Farm Science Review.  The Molly Caren Center remains the home of the FSR to this day.

My children have grown up, loving the FSR like I do.  My youngest daughter was the only one able to attend this year, but she took advantage of all that the FSR had to offer.  She even participated in the Ohio Corn & Wheat Grower's Association's Tall Corn Contest, placing 5th!

If you ever have the opportunity to attend the Farm Science Review, definitely take advantage of it!  I hope to see you there next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment